A total of 29 people were killed and another 166 were wounded on Dec. 10 when two bombings hit central Istanbul near Beşiktaş’s Vodafone Arena Stadium, Interior Minister Süleyman Soylu has announced.

Speaking at a press conference early on Dec. 11, Deputy Prime Minister Numan Kurtulmuş detailed the bombings saying that the first attack was staged by the detonation of a bomb-laden car in which he said directly targeted riot police near the stadium.

The second attack came 45 seconds after the first one when a suicide bomber blew self up at Maçka Park just across the stadium, according to Kurtulmuş.

The interior minister later stated that 27 police officers and two civilians were killed while 166 people were wounded in the bombings.

He also added that some 10 suspects were detained after the attack.

The blast occurred at around 10:20 p.m., around 90 minutes after a match between Beşiktaş and Bursaspor ended at the nearby ground.

Upon his arrival from Ankara, Soylu said there were two separate explosions, one of which is being evaluated as a suicide bomb attack in Maçka Park just across the stadium.

The minister also added that he would make a statement on the death toll later.

President Erdoğan said early on Dec. 11 that there were casualties and injuries in the attack.

Prime Minister Binali Yıldırım also stated that there were casualties in the car bomb attack.

Earlier, Soylu had announced that around 20 were injured in the attack.

Bursaspor stated on its official Twitter account that there were no injuries among its supporters in the attack.

Beşiktaş also condemned the attack in a statement issued on its website as well as the Turkish Football Federation, Fenerbahçe, Galatasaray and Trabzonspor.

A number of ambulances were immediately dispatched to the scene.

Eyewitnesses also reported the sound of gunfire after the explosions.

The blast was heard on both sides of the Bosphorus.

Meanwhile, security forces detonated a suspicious car near the scene in a controlled explosion early on Dec. 11, according to a CNN Turk reporter at the scene.

Prime Minister Binali Yıldırım was also briefed about the attack by Soylu and Istanbul Governor Vasip Şahin.

Presidential sources also said President Recep Tayyip Erdoğan was at the Tarabya Palace by the Bosphorus in Istanbul and has been briefed by the officials.

Meanwhile, Turkey’s media watchdog, the Radio and Television Supreme Council (RTÜK), announced a gag order on reporting the attack.

Six prosecutors were assigned to investigate the attack.

In addition, the U.S. Embassy also condemned the attack.

"We condemn tonight’s cowardly attack, and salute the courage of the Turkish people as we stand with them against terror," the Embassy tweeted.

The U.S. Consulate in Istanbul also stated that it was monitoring the attack, urging its citizens to avoid the area.

"Please avoid the area, monitor local press reporting, and let friends and family know you are OK," the consulate said in a tweet.

The attack also drew condemnation from EU officials.

"Following news from #Istanbul, in contact with authorities. All our solidarity to all citizens of #Turkey," High Representative of the EU for Foreign Affairs and Security Policy Federica Mogherini tweeted.

"Strongly condemn attack in #Istanbul! Violence has no place in a democratic society. @EUDelegationTur," Commissioner for European Neighbourhood Policy and Enlargement Negotiations Johannnes Hahn tweeted.